Monday, June 1, 2009

Sailing to Catalina Island

This is the time of year that you might want to start thinking about sailing to Catalina Island if you have a sailboat and if it is moored in Southern California.  My boat is moored in San Diego and every year I sail it to Avalon at Catalina Island.  Avalon is 67 miles from San Diego and it usually takes me 15 hours to get to Avalon from San Diego.  When I say sail, remember I mean a combination of sailing and motoring.  The problem with sailing the entire way, is that your a victim of the wind.  If the wind is not blowing the right direction, you will find yourself doing a lot of tacking.  This can cause the time it takes to get to Avalon to be a long time.

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to visit Catalina Island. I don't think I'll be sailing there though.

    Rong-Ji

    ReplyDelete